Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Trying New Things

This month, I attended a figure drawing class taught by my studio mate, Jay Bailey. It was a first for me. I've never sketched much. I usually just attack canvas with paint and intuit my way through the creation of an artwork. But Jay's class was a revelation for me. We were working with a live model and she held her positions for only 2-15 minutes at a time. The sketching was fast and furious.

The artists in the room were of varying degrees of skill and experience, but everyone had such lovely interpretations of the model's different incarnations. It was thrilling to be working along side other artists, trying something I had never experienced before. I decided to take one of my sketches (I did 9 total) and paint over it - just an exercise. Its still in process, but I thought I'd share with you here. And to be clear, I'm not sharing because it's well done, but rather because it is new to me. I'm a process-oriented artist and I think sharing the different machinations of an artwork is helpful to both artist and viewer. I'd love to hear your thoughts!






3 comments:

Connie said...

How wonderful to take a class with your space mate. I love that while learning new things, you never lose your sense of personal style. Beautiful.

Wendy said...

Wow! I really love the detail shown in the last view.

Emily said...

I've always had a thing for nudes. I love what you did here!