Monday, November 28, 2016

2016 Holiday Gift Guide


It's time for my annual Holiday Gift Guide! I've just completed the downsize of the decade and am not in a position to fill my space up with Christmas gifts this year. In fact, this year my husband and I are holding it to one gift each for our children. (We'll try, at least.) But I love gift giving and will happily fill other people's homes with beautiful and useful things. 

You'll find that most everything below is made by a single artisan or a small business. These are all items (or experiences) I love and use, or they are items that I saw, loved and jotted down on a wish list. I hope they inspire your bohemian-style gift giving this season. 

And if, like me, you're trying to slow down this season and chill the eff out, then please check out Laura Gaskill's FREE month long course: Slow the Season. I'll be doing it all month long. 



1
For the Budding Naturalist

This beautiful Audubon bird call necklace will attract a wide variety of birds. It's a perfect gift for the budding naturalist (like my 9-year-old son) or the well-seasoned bird watcher in your life. The piece is hand painted by artist Keiko Brodeur.

Bird Call Necklace from Taproot


2
For the Eternal Wanderer

I cannot say enough about the quality and comfort of Aurora Shoe Company shoes. They are, as Barbara Streisand might say, "like butta". I own a pair of their Chinese Mary Janes, but these high top, leather tie-shoes look so comfy!

North Pacific Shoe from Aurora Shoe Co.


3
For the Crafty Mama

The Squam Art Workshops have now become legendary. I've been to three retreats and done one online book club. Squam Art Workshops offer in person retreats, podcast, online classes and more. Their next gathering is June 1-5, 2016. This is the perfect gift for that art-making woman in your life who is always giving giving giving to others. She needs a little time for herself. Squam Art Workshops might just be the thing! Gift certificates can be purchased HERE.

Spring retreat at Squam Lake is June 1-5th. Register HERE.


4
For the Contemplative Papa

The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday has been on my coffee table all month long. Both my husband and I read the daily meditations. This book has changed the trajectory of my days and would be a wonderful gift for the man (or woman) in your life who needs a brain break. Take a look at THIS article from "Brain Pickings" for a little taste of what this book holds in store for you.

"The Daily Stoic" by Ryan Holiday


5
For the Memoirist

These have long been my favorite journals and I recommend them every year as gifts. Watermark Bindery is a small press bindery and the beauty and craftsmanship of their products is remarkable. The best part about these notebooks is that they stay open and flat while you write! Bliss for the memoirist in your life. 

Journals from the Watermark Bindery


6
For the Feminist Couple

I love Pheobe Wahl and have written about her and her work on the blog before. This shirt, designed and illustrated by Phoebe Wahl and hand screen printed by Red Boots Design in Bellingham,WA, is the perfect his-and-hers gift. These shirts are 100% cotton American Apparel brand. Warrior women (and men who love them) UNITE!

"Warrior Woman" T-shirt for HER and for HIM


7
For the Moon Gazer

I found this beautiful 2017 moon calendar at We Are 1976 in the Bishop Arts District of Dallas, TX. Since they don't have it available in their online shop, I found it at the museum shop at MOMA. This calendar is a beautiful visual of the 2017 Moon Phases. Perfect for the walls of any moon-gazer's home. 

2017 Moon Cycle Calendar via MOMA


8
For the Easy Breezy Lover

I love wearing linen and would happily live in any of the clothing from Not PERFECT LINEN on Etsy. This is a small company making gorgeous handmade linen clothing. I want this boxy linen pinafore pictured below, but seriously - take a look at their whole line of offerings. So pretty!

Shop Not PERFECT LINEN on Etsy


9
For the Truth Seeker

Crime Against Nature, by artist Gwenn Seemel, is a compelling and beautiful book that exposes the true diversity of natural behavior. As one book reviewer wrote, "This book is guaranteed to spark conversation. It belongs on the coffee table as much as in the classroom." Buy it HERE as a digital or hard copy.

"Crime Against Nature" by Gwenn Seemel - Digital or Hard Copy HERE


10
For the Little Weaver

Get your little one off of the iPad and onto this sweet loom from The Unusual Pear. It's perfect for little hands (or big ones). Simple, lightweight and easy to use, this loom is suitable for all ages. It's especially good for beginners. Find it HERE.

Bamboo Loom from The Unusual Pear

No comments: