Tuesday, February 28, 2017

When Artists Buy Art

I am an artist. But I'm also a collector of art. I have a very small collection, but that is mostly due in part to my budget. A few months ago, my studio mate created a piece that made my heart stop. Truly, the second I saw her I wanted her - like that sappy love story where your grandfather saw your grandmother at a Sunday luncheon and said to himself, "That is the girl I'm going to marry".

Well today, after many weeks of saving my pennies, I married my sweetheart. She is now mine and hanging in my bedroom. Now, I realize that this is an unorthodox way to hang a piece of original art - over top of an Indian embroidered textile. She is so minimal and the textile so detailed. But it feels right.

The piece is entitled Admiral by Jay Bailey





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks amazing.

rebecca said...

What a novel AND appropriate placement!